Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The best two years. . .

Looking back, I can honestly say that being a mother has been the hardest, yet most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life. In the last two years I have felt more happiness and joy, and more frustration and stress than ever before in my life. I have grown so much, and feel that my capacity to love has grown as well. I thank my Heavenly Father each and every day for blessing me with this opportunity, and pray that when this life is over I will earn the precious reward of hearing him say "Well Done".

I can't believe that it has really been two years since my precious boy came into the world, and yet it seems as though he has been a part of our lives forever. Stetson is such a joy to have around, and he really is a good boy - even though he throws a pretty good fit once in a while. It is crazy to look back and see how much he has changed in just two short years, and I look forward to seeing how he will continue to change and grow. Since he has now been around for 24 months, I have decided to list 24 things about the little Stet-man:

1. He is a good talker, and mimicks everything we say.
2. He likes just about everyone, but mom is usually his favorite.
3. He is always looking "up", and notices everything in the sky from clouds to birds to airplanes.
4. His favorite activity is unloading something and then loading it back up, or taking somthing apart and then putting it back together.
5. He loves to climb, and can climb up almost anything - including the dishwasher (when it is closed).
6. He has a tender little heart, and when he knows that someone is hurt or sad, he tried to comfort them.
7. He gives the best hugs and kisses ever! But be careful with the kisses, because he is not done until he has kissed you on the lips - no matter who you are.
8. He loves animals, and recognizes each one and know what sound they make.
9. He idolizes his cousin J.D., and follows him around, doing everything he does.
10. His favorite food is popsicles.
11. He loves to eat; if you want to win him over, just give him food - especially if it has sugar in it!
12. When he laughs too hard he gets the hiccups.
13. When he cries too hard he throws up.
14. His favorite movie is Lightning McQueen, and his favorite book if Finding Nemo.
15. He loves his black blanket and his little stuffed bear he named Monster.
16. He has a dog named Bo, a cow named Boo, and a horse named Mater (he named the dog and the cow).
17. He has a cute little cowlick on the front left side of his head, and his hair sticks straight up no matter what I do.
18. He is afraid of loud noises, but loves to ride in things that make loud noises such as big trucks and tractors.
19. He loves to sing, and knows several songs and their actions.
20. He hates to sit still or feel like he is tied down in any way.
21. It is really hard to get Stetson to go to sleep, but once he is asleep, he usually sleeps for quite awhile.
22. His favorite things to say are "hey, you", and "um. . . no".
23. He loves balloons.
24. After he gets in trouble, when he stops crying, he always comes back and gives us a hug, I guess that is his way of saying sorry.
Stetson has his own timing, and does things when he is ready - but whoever said you had to cut your two-year molars ON your second birthday? I guess he figured that it was time. The day before his birthday Stetson started running a fever, and that continued through his birthday and into the next day, then he got a runny nose. All of that combined with a sore bottom, excessive slobbering, and hands in the mouth constantly made for a not-so-pleasant birthday, but oh well! Great Grandpa Black's birthday is the day before Stetson's, but the family had his birthday party on Stetson's birthday this year. We had a yummy dinner and great entertainment, plus it was great to see lots of the family again. They were also kind enough to sing Stetson Happy Birthday - it was fun!This was Stetson's BIG present this year - a new trike! If you can't tell, it is a John Deere, just like Grandpa's tractor. The funny thing is that the balloons were just a side gift, but that is what he loved the most! He was so excited when he saw the balloons, I don't think he even noticed the trike.

Stetson LOVES tractors, so we decided to keep the tractor theme for this birthday, and decorate his cake accordingly. It was HIS idea to add the animals, and he placed most of them himself.Stetson wasn't feeling well, and hadn't really eaten anything for a couple days, so I didn't think he would be interested in his cake, but I was wrong! We let him eat it in the front room, which was super cool. Then, he crawled right up next to his daddy so that they could enjoy their cake together. It was definately a heart melting moment watching the two of them together!Can you tell how much he LOVES his balloons? He had to eat with them, sleep with them, and even take them into the bath tub with him. I could have saved a lot of money, and just bought him the balloons and he would have been perfectly happy - who knew?Later we had a party at my parents' house. My mom gave him this super cute pillow covered in monkeys, which he loves, he got a little stuffed dog from McKady, and a very noisy Lighning McQueen book from J.D. and family. Thanks guys! We made homemade ice cream. By this time he was totally into the "eating in the front room" thing, and took his ice cream and sat down on the front room floor and just went to town.

Still no teeth, but it sure is swollen in there! Hopefully they will break through soon so he won't be in so much pain. His fever is gone, but he is still not his happy self yet. Happy Birthday Stetson! We love you TONS!!!

3 comments:

Andy & Alicia said...

He's such a sweet boy. That really is so sad that he wasn't feeling good on his birthday. Hopefully he's feeling better today because Dodger and I miss him!

Sarah said...

Amber thank you for the comment!! I am glad I am not the only one. You're little boy just keeps getting cuter! Seriously! Every time I look at the pictures you post he is so stinking cute! I hope Jace gets cuter as he gets older! Ps. I can't believe it's been 2 years! I remember seeing him about a month old or so at that dance competition. Crazy!

Unknown said...

Holy cow! Amber, your baby is two! That's is so crazy! Cute photos! I loved the part where you talked about the 24 things. My favorite was that when he laughs so hard, he gets the hiccups. Too cute! I'm sad I didn't get to see you this past weekend. Hopefully some other time.