I planned to take off work this year to help round up the cows on the mountain, but it turned out that I didn't need to because we already had so many awesome cowboys and cowgirls helping out! Thanks so much to EVERYONE!!! You guys are the BEST! It seems our biggest challenge when it comes to shipping is the weather. Not that we don't LOVE a good storm, just not when we are trying to get a semi-truck up the mountain to bring calves down. It stormed the day before we shipped, but dried out enough the day of shipping that we were able to bring the calves off. The big storm hit the next day, and it snowed on the mountain - good timing, huh?
The kids and I met everyone up at the fairgrounds to get the calves weighed and loaded. It was pretty cold, but we came prepared!
 |
| Lucy all bundled up |
 |
| My cute kids with our calves in the background |
 |
| Stetson made an instant friend with Trace Bennett, and they had the best time working, playing, and even eating together that night. |
 |
| Lucy and I helped in the scale house |
 |
| Our calves at the fairgrounds, waiting to get loaded and head to Kansas |
Before we move the cows off the mountain for the winter we run them all through the chute to preg-test them and vaccinate them. I did take off work this day, and the kids and I went up and helped. I hate being cold, and some pre-testing days in the past have been pretty miserable, so I was super happy when it turned out to be a beautiful day! Again we had lots of great help, and things went well.
 |
| Stetson and his cousin J.D. - plum worn out |
 |
| My fearless Lucy would stand right in front of a cow in the chute - don't worry, I didn't let her stay there! |
Sometimes the cows get a little anxious, and maybe a little pushy. Apparently we just weren't moving things along quick enough, and this cow just could wait her turn . . .
 |
| A double-decker |
Maybe it wasn't her fault though, it looks like she was actually being pushed from behind by another super anxious cow!
 |
| A triple-decker |
Don't worry, no one (or cow) was hurt, and we were able to get them all tested, doctored, and on their way - crazy cows!
After watching their dads run this chute these boys thought they had it all figured out, so they decided to give it a try. I think they were humbled a little when they realized how hard it was, and I enjoyed watching them try!
 |
| This is harder than it looks! |
It turned out to be a great day, even if we did have to miss the last home football game! Thanks everyone for your help!!!
0 comments:
Post a Comment