Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Greatest Joy

What is it that brings YOU the most joy?
I recently asked myself this question, and the answer was simple: MY KIDS!

Stetson started preschool in January with Lana Latham, and he absolutely LOVES it!  He seems to be learning a lot and making some new friends, so that is good.  However, I think the best part about Stetson going to preschool is the one-on-one time it gives me with Lucy.  Stetson loves to quote movies, build things, play the computer, and play with his cousins.  He is still a mama's boy, which is fine by me.  He said he loves dad and Lucy, but he loves mom and Jesus the most - I can't say that I mind being ranked right up there with Jesus.  Stetson is so smart, he blows me away with some of the things he says and does.  He is also not shy at all, and will go up and talk to almost anyone (definately didn't get that from me).

Stetson is getting very independant, and figures that since he is such a "big" boy now, he can do what he wants, when he wants, and we are having a hard time convincing him otherwise.  We are also having trouble getting him to eat.  We tried the whole, 'no treats or snacks if you don't finish your food' deal, but that didn't work out so well.  For awhile there, I was wondering how he was staying alive because he honestly didn't eat anything!  Stetson loves stickers, so I made him a chart where he got to put on a sticker each time he finished his food.  He was excited about it at first, but the novelty wore off, and we are back to square one.  I still haven't decided if me being home is a good thing for him or not, he seems to be more naughty now - but maybe that is just because I am around him more . . . I hope he wasn't this naughty for his babysitters!

Despite all of this, Stetson is the sweetest guy ever!  He can totally tell when I am sad, and is always right there to cheer me up.  He gives the best hugs, and always remembers to say, "I love you mom!"

Handsome Stetson

My little cowboy doing his "hee ya" pose in his boots and hat

Stetson LOVES stickers!!!

He even decorated his sea turtle
(when he found out that they kept the stars from shining on the ceiling at night, he had me take them right off!)

Stetson loves to take pictures, and often gets a few of himself.
This one was taken on a trip with dad to check on the cows at the winter range.

I don't know what it is, but he looks so grown up in this picture!
 There is never a dull moment with Stetson around, he is always doing something, building something or coming up with a new "game".  He loves to get all the blankets and pillows from around the house and build forts or beds in the strangest places.  He figured out that if he laid his blanket out really straight, then got on the blanket and held the edge while he rolled, he could make a human burrito.  At first I was worried when I heard the muffled voice calling, "mom"; but then I laughed when he said, "look mom, I am a burrito!"  It was super cute!
Rolling up the burrito

Where did he go?
 Everyone loves Lucy!  And why not?  She is so sweet and funny.  She is just learning to talk and her little personality is coming out more and more.  I often find myself feeling guilty that I sort of missed out on this stage with Stetson because I was working, but we do the best we can, right?  Lucy LOVES animals and being outside.  She is one tough cookie!  Even when the dogs knock her down in the mud, she just jumps right up and tells them, "no, no".  In watching her with other kids, she is not one to be pushed around.  She is not mean, just very protective of her turf!  She likes to be pretty and wear pretty things, but not the fluffy, frilly stuff her cousin wears.  We were at the store a couple weeks ago and I held up some frilly skirts and dresses for her to look at; she just pushed them away, and said "no!"  She likes to wear her jeans and cowboy boots - who knew a girl her age could have such strong opinions!  Lucy loves stuffed animals, and carries them around everywhere, her favorite are puppies, but any stuffed animal will do!  She is a good sleeper, and a good eater, unless Stetson tells her something is gross, then she won't eat it either.  She is usually very good natured . . . but she does have a mean temper.  When something sets that off, watch out!  As long as she has a sippy cup and her blankie, she can handle just about anything, even nursery!
The dog still says "ruff, ruff", but if you ask Lucy what the puppy says, she shakes her hips and says "wiggle, wiggle"

This girl is a worker, she loves to help out . . . with anything!

Mischievious?  I think so!

My little cowgirl
When we put on her cowgirls clothes, she struts around like she is so big

Never happier than when she is outside.
And somehow, she doesn't get cold.

Lucy loves her big brother, and is always up for one of his "games", even if it included being rolled up like a burrito (she got out of that one fast!!!)

Stetson took this picture, and I think it is beautiful!
 So I ask myself, what is my greatest joy (and challenge)?  Spending every day with these special little people.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to be their mother, and for the little things they teach me each day.  I LOVE you guys!!!
Everyone tells me my kids look alike . . . yeah, I guess they do!

All bundled up, and ready to play

It has actually been super nice this winter and the kids and I have had the opportunity to go on lots of walks and play at the playground, as well as getting good use out of our swingset and trampoline.


2 comments:

Jessica said...

Not worth getting into power struggles over food. Have good snacks availabe for whenever and don't worry they won't starve. Kids are still pretty self regulators at this age. It is so hard now that the kids are getting out of low maintenance of keeping feeed and clean- knowing how to teach them everything they need to know. Sounds like things are fun at your house!

Jens and Patricia said...

What cute kids. They do look alike, but also different. If that makes sense. ha ha Motherhood is a great joy in life!