I think I mentioned this in my last post, but on August 8, three great men in our community were killed in a tragic plane accident. They all left behind wonderful wives and young children. When something like this happens, it is like a reality check for me. I really like the following quote by our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson: "How fragile life, how certain death. We do not know when we will be required to leave this mortal existence. And so I ask, 'What are we doing with today?' If we live only for tomorrow, we'll eventually have a lot of empty yesterdays." Since the accident I have done a lot of thinking and evaluating my life. I get so busy with life, that I forget to really live! Am I too busy doing the not-so-important things, that I don't have time for the really important things? Do I look back to a whole lot of empty yesterdays? If so, I need to make some changes! Also, I have realized that I take a lot for granted. I complain when Kenny leaves his boots in the middle of the floor, and I trip on them in the middle of the night on my way to get Stetson - but at least I still have a husband! I cringe when Kenny comes in, covered in grease, and picks Stetson up and hugs him, covering him in grease - but at least Stetson has a daddy! Kenny's parents are serving a mission in Africa, and they sent us some pictures of a family they met last week. A mother and two daughters live in a tiny, one room house with a dirt floor; they have no food, and only the clothes on their backs - and yet they greeted them with smiles and offered them the only food they had. Once again, I realize how ungrateful I am! I complain that my house is too small, or when my well goes out. And there a lot of people out there who live every day with no running water. I complain because it has been awhile since I got any new clothes, and there are so many people who are grateful for the one pair they wear every day! I am grateful for these reality checks, and pray that I will be more grateful and take advantage of EVERY day I have here on earth!
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
What a great post! I 100% agree with you. We need to live for today, and hopefully have no regrets. Thanks for putting this into perspective for me. P.S. I love that quote!
Good job Amber! Way to go. I too have thought a lot about life since hearing about the accident. Every time I get into my car to go to work or to the store, I think, "Anything can happen - make sure to tell Jake you love him!" It's just crazy. Thanks for that post. You're amazing.
Post a Comment