On Friday night the drill team catered a dinner for a dinner theater that EOTS was putting on. The girls also performed at the last home basketball game - so it was a crazy night. I got home late, and since Stetson and Kenny were already in bed I took the opportunity to write in the card I had purchased for Kenny. I set it by the computer, along with some chocolates for his Valentine treat - he was sure to find it there. Stetson woke up early and was running around the house while Kenny and I laid in bed talking. I could hear some wrappers crinkling, but without my contacts in, I couldn't see what Stetson was doing; Kenny assured me that he was okay. When we finally went in to get him he was covered in chocolate. All I could say was, "Happy Valentine's Day, Honey".
Kenny's gift to me was spending the morning cleaning out a room upstairs so that we can start working on it (as you can tell, we really need to move the office out of Stetson's room!). Now that Stetson can climb out of his crib, it is really hard to get him settled down enough to go down for a nap. So, I spend most of the afternoon fighting him, trying to get him to go to sleep. In the middle of this there was a knock at the door and my sweet nephew was standing there with a bouquet of flowers. "This is from grandpa" was all he said. I have received flowers from my father-in-law, Pete, every Valentine's Day since Kenny and I were married. It is something I really look forward to, and usually the only flowers I receive on Valentine's Day. Thanks to Steve F. and Kade, he was able to come through again, even though he is currently serving a mission in Africa. Once I finally got Stetson to sleep I did some more cleaning upstairs and then went to the store.
That evening we all went over to my parents' house where we had a yummy lasagna dinner and watched a movie. I was carrying a pan of lasagna from the kitchen into the dining room and was just stepping over my brother, who was crouched on the floor. Not knowing that I was there, he raised up at just the right moment, hitting his head on the bottom of the pan. The pan left my hands and went flying through the air for what seemed like several minutes. It finally came to rest ON the foot of my older sister who was carrying my sticky son into the kitchen to wash his hands. We were all so shocked that we just stood there and stared at the lasagna until my mom came over and asked, "what's wrong?" When she saw the lasagna on the floor, she started laughing. I guess I gave her a look that said, "this is not funny" because she said, "don't worry, someday you will laugh about it too." As always, she was right. Later that evening we were talking about it, and we were all laughing.
Then on Sunday Suzie had us over for a very yummy dinner and desert. Jody and her kids were down, and it was a lot of fun to spend some time with Kenny's family. Since Monday was a holiday, and I had the day off work, we spent most of the day cleaning again. The good news is that we finally got all the junk out of the room so we can start working on it. The bad news is that we didn't get rid of the junk, we just moved it to another room - now when we want to work on that room, we will have to move the junk again. How do we acquire so much junk anyway?
Stetson and the flowers from Grandpa Black



2 comments:
I'm glad you had a good Valentine's Day! That is so sweet of your father in-law to give you flowers! So sweet!
I love your in-laws. I remember going on a weekend trip with them to Provo and it was during Valentines Day and he gave me a carnation along with his daughters. I remember feeling so special because he always was a father figure to me growing up! BTW I love the story of Stetson eating Kenny's chocolates is so dang cute!
Post a Comment