Sunday, April 21, 2013

Merry Christmas!!!

I was really looking forward to Christmas this year.  Not because we were going to have amazing presents, because we weren't, but just because it is always such a special time with family.  Plus, my kids are at ages where everything is so magical, and I wanted to feel a little of that Christmas magic again.

December brought with it the stomach flu, at least at the Black house.  Lucy got sick on a Tuesday, Stetson got sick exactly a week later on a Tuesday, and exactly a week later, on Christmas Eve, I got sick!  I have gotten sick on Christmas before, but not as a mother.  When you are a kid it stinks because you can't really enjoy all the food and presents, but when you are the mom it stinks for EVERYONE!!!  I had SO much to do, presents to deliver, and plans for my kids, and I could barely get up off the couch.  Luckily I felt well enough to go to the Christmas Eve candle light dinner at Kenny's parents' house, but then I was sick all night . . .  I felt like I was letting my family down!  I wanted to make this a special Christmas for my kids, but I learned the hard way that we don't MAKE Christmas special, it just is.  And you know what?  I think it turned out fine, even without all the extras!

So I had asked for two things this year . . . a camera, and a camcorder.  Since I got my wish, and they were nestled neatly under the Christmas tree, I didn't get any pictures of my cute kids excitedly racing up the stairs to see what Santa had left them, I also didn't get pictures of their priceless faces when they saw that they did in fact get what they wanted.  Nevertheless, those pictures are forever imprinted in my mind, and no one can take that away!!!  
Stetson on Christmas morning 2012

Lydia on her first Christmas - 2012

Princess Lucy, inside her castle

Arrrg, the pirate captain is in the house!

Completely worn out, and it's only 8 AM!

Stetson is ready for the snow with a hat and gloves from G & G Black

Awake and enjoying Christmas morning

Lucy couldn't wait to try on her hat and gloves from G & G Black

Lucy got new clothes, so she decided to try them on  . . . all at once!

For the little artists in the Black family . . .
maybe now they won't draw on the walls - ha!
 Some of the Black family cousins came to visit us and see our loot, and then we headed over to my parents' house to continue the festivities.  Kenny and I were in charge of a big buffet breakfast at lunch time.  Kenny ended up having to do most of the cooking himself, but everyone said it turned out great - good job Kenny.  Even with my new camera, I didn't take very many pictures.  We took a lot of video though, so at least we have that.  Even though I was miserable, I really felt that the Lord gave me enough strength to do what I needed to for my kids.  They seemed to enjoy Christmas, as only a kid can.  Man, I love those guys!!!
The magic of Christmas is not in the presents, but in HIS presence.
Special thanks to Aunt Suzie for taking this priceless Nativity picture of my kids!

0 comments: