It's pay day! When you own a ranch pay day only comes around once a year. This year it just happened to be on Stetson's birthday. We gathered the cows and calves on the mountain, then sorted the calves off and loaded them on the truck. Then we headed to the fair grounds in Monticello where we weighed the calves and loaded them back on the truck and they headed to Kansas. They didn't weigh quite what we had hoped, but we did fulfill our contract, so that is good. It is always exciting to see all the calves together, and I think we had a pretty good looking bunch of calves this year!
Kenny and Stetson with our calves in the background
Learning how to use the hot shot - don't worry, he didn't shock himself!
Okay, for those of you who have never seen the cow preg-testing process, this next photo will be very educational. Yes, that is how it is done - the vet gets the exciting job of sticking his arm into the cow to see if she is pregnant. If she is, we keep her (unless she is very old, of course), and if she isn't, she goes to the sale. It was very windy, so I didn't get very many photos. It was all I could do to keep myself on the ground and the papers I was keeping records on from blowing away! We did get all the cows done though, and everything went very well, thanks to all those who helped us out! Josh Palmer and family, Quinn Palmer and family, Suzie Francom and family, Kirk Black and family, JJ, Dad, Lloyd Shumway, and Wayne Black. You guys are awesome! Thanks for your help!




1 comments:
Wow. That was...educational! :) I love that photo of Stetson. He's so cute. Okay, so I lied. I am not going to Blanding this next weekend, I'm going to Bethany's house with my mom in Idaho. Jake will be in Blanding, but I won't. Sorry. Some other time we should go to lunch though. Love ya!
Post a Comment