Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Terrific Terrible Twos

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. . . I have always heard people talk about the "terrible twos", though I didn't know HOW terrible - and terrific - they could be, until I had one of my own. This is seriously the CUTEST and FUNNEST age, but it is also one of the HARDEST!
It all started with the fits - I was in shock the first time my cute little son threw himself on the floor and started kicking and screaming (literally), though it was almost funny. But then when he started throwing a fit in the grocery store, I was embarrassed and wanted to just disappear. So what do you do? You can't really punish them in public, but you don't want to just give them what they want because then they think they can get away with it. Luckily he doesn't throw fits as often now, and he understands a punishment a little better.
Have you seen the cartoon about Curious George? I'm pretty sure that cartoon was made to portray Stetson. He is so curious, and he is into EVERYTHING!!! The problem is that he is so dang cute, and when you catch him getting into something or doing something naughty, he looks up with an irrisistable grin, and it is hard to get mad at him. Then when I do get mad at him, he throws his little arms around my neck and says, "sorry mom". Now, how can you resist that? Some of his greatest accomplishments include breaking almost every statue I own, getting into the fridge and breaking a whole carton of 18 eggs in the fridge and on the floor, dumping baby powder all over the carpet in his room, flooding the kitchen then dumping powdered gatorade all over, unloading everything out of and off of the desk, and tipping over a full big candle that was sitting on a warmer on top of the entertainment center - yes, it went all down the wall and settled into the carpet, not to mention that the entertainment center doesn' have a back so all my movies and the TV were covered in wax! Have you ever tried to clean up wax, especially out of the carpet - not fun! The cute thing though, was that he went right into the bathroom and got some toilet paper and tried to clean it up, so I had to take a photo!
I have found that NOTHING is impossible for Stetson. I put child locks on things, and he breaks the locks, I put things up high and he finds a way to climb up to them. He can seriously climb ANYTHING! He just takes off his shoes and socks and uses his toes to climb up the cupboard and then the fridge, and anything else that might have something exciting at the top. I honestly can't keep up with him. Also, he LOVES to hide, and is very good at keeping quiet when someone is looking for him. There have been several times I have almost had heart failure because I couldn't find him. It will be nice this summer when he can go outside and play, but then again. . . there are a lot more places to hide out there - and, I don't have a fence! Here he is hiding in a box, I honestly don't know how he was able to squeeze himself in there!
On the other hand, Stetson is so sweet and kind, and such a joy to have around. He makes me laugh with all the cute things he says, and surprises me every day with how smart and observant he is. Very often, when I am doing something and he is watching, he'll say, "good job, mom". And usually, when I ask him to do something he says, "okay" (he doesn't always do what I ask him, but at least he is being agreeable).
Stetson HATES haircuts, and throws the biggest fit every time. He is too strong for me to hold him down on my own, I have to enlist the help of my wrestler brothers to put him in a wrestling hold so that we can TRY to cut his hair. My mom is very patient though, and does a great job - thanks mom!
Stetson LOVES baths, and if he happens to miss his bath one day I hear about it or he tries to take one on his own. One Sunday we were all over at my parents' house for dinner. Suddenly I heard water running, and I thought, "oh no!" I ran to the bathroom, and there was Stetson in the bathtub running himself some bath water. He had taken off all his clothes and diaper, and decided to have a bath. Funny kid! He has a bad habit of taking off his diaper, especially when he is stinky - maybe that means he is ready to go in the toilet. . . nope, but that would sure be nice!
Another thing Stetson likes to do is line things up, I find things like this all the time. He is very particular though, one day I was helping him line up some cars and put one facing a different way than all the others; he noticed right away, and got it turned around. It is actally amazing that a kid that makes the biggest messes can be so neat an particular at times.
I guess this morning he was super hungry because this is how I found him when I woke up, just munching on a BIG HUNK of banana bread.

Hiding in the cupboard. . .

Stetson LOVES to play with the puppies, we named ours Jasper by the way, he is the brown and white one. I don't know what they were looking at, but it made for a cute pic!

Stetson is NOT into anything out of the ordinary or "scary". I took him to see the childrens' Christmas play at the high school and spent most of the time out in the hall. As soon as the grinch came out, he started screaming; he was shaking all over because he was so scared! He STILL talks about it! We were over at Grandma and Grandpa Black's house and his cousin Derek got out a scary mask - he was NOT impressed, and wouldn't leave my side for quite awhile. Anyway, Kenny shot this big wild pig last year, and had the head mounted. We just got it back, and Kenny introduced him to Stetson - again, he was not impressed! He eventually warmed up though, and started petting the pig. He said, "I like it pig".

3 comments:

The Bennett Family said...

amber- what a GREAT post. i love posts like this. it makes us remember why being a mother is so important and special. and, have you ever tried cutting stetsons hair IN the bathtub? trace used to be the same way with haircuts but he loved to bath. so i started cutting it in the tub. i couldnt use the clippers, but i went as short as possible with the scissors. then when i was done, i drained the water and started the shower for a sec. to get all the hair off him. it worked like a charm--

Steve and Shauna said...

Your positive attitude about everything is inspiring to me! I have a theory that kids like Stetson who are so precocious when they're little grow up to be the smartest, highest achieving adults. At least, that's what happened with my little brother.

Unknown said...

What a funny kid! Running his own bath?! That is so great. Fun post!