Thursday, March 19, 2009

Now They're Gone. . .

We have these two huge Elm trees in our backyard that are probably as old as our house (85 years or so). If you have ever had an elm tree in your yard, you know that they are very trashy! All last summer I would cringe every time the wind blew because I knew that my lawn would once again be covered in limbs. Also, I have little baby elm trees popping up all over my yard - no, I didn't plant them! Okay, if we would have pruned these old trees, they probably wouldn't have been so trashy - but still. . . The other problem was a very real danger to my house. One of the trees was splitting down the middle, and if it was to ever split all the way, half of that tree would fall right on top of my house (my bedroom, of course). Anyway, Kenny has been telling me for a couple years that he would cut them down for me, and hasn't gotten around to it. So with spring in the air, and the grass turing green, I started having these nightmares of raking my lawn EVERY day (or at least twice a week), and I decided that I am NOT going to do that again! So I called up Teryl Pugh, and he agreed to cut down the trees for me - for a small fee of course - but it was worth it to me! So of course he came while I was at work, and I was thinking, "dang, it sure would have been nice to get some pictures!" But miracles happen every day; when I got home from work they were cleaning up the second tree, and Kenny said, "hey look at these pictures I took" - Holy Cow, my dear sweet husband remembered to take pictures - yay! He said that when they cut down the tree that was about to split in half, right where it was splitting was a huge pocket of water - no wonder it was rotting out! Teryl stuck his arm in there, and the water went clear up to his elbow - pretty crazy! Since it is spring break and the kids are out of school, Teryl brought his whole family over to help clean up the trees, and they did an awesome job! They also did a great job of keeping Stetson entertained for the afternoon. He just layed on my bed and watched them out the window for the longest time - must have been pretty interesting. So, now they're gone, and I am looking forward to having a little nicer yard this summer - hey, we can always hope, huh?

BEFORE:

 DURING:
AFTER:





1 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Glad you got those down! Stetson is adorable, as you know of course. :) Hope you're doing well.