Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Let it Rain!

Yay for the rain! It has rained at least a little bit every day for the last 5 days! A huge blessing for us desert dwellers trying to keep cows fed and watered. Also, it came just after we planted our garden, flowers, and some new grass - yay!

My baby sister graduated from Elementary School on Friday! Way to go McKady! She served as the 5th grade Vice President this year with Krista Grover as President and Asa Bradford as Secretary. Here they are posing in front of the sign they kept updated throughout the year. McKady is going to be Stetson's babysitter this summer while I am working. Thanks McKady, we love you!
Our neighbors, the Browns, gave us a couple kittens to keep down at our barn. Since they were so tiny, and scared to death of us, we decided to keep them at our house for a few days. And, since we have two dogs that live at our house, we ended up keeping them inside for a few days. Don't worry, it wasn't permanent! I love animals, but I believe that they belong outside. One of the kittens was a little fighter and not only scratched up my arm, but also bit both my pointer fingers! Whenever we let them out of their little cage they would run and hide, usually under my bed, under the recliner, or behind the fireplace or couch. At first Kenny and I put on gloves to catch them because we didn't want to get bit again. So, one evening as I was peeling potatoes Stetson brought me his gloves and said, "kitties". I guess the kittens were hiding under the recliner again, and he was going to catch them - with his gloves on, of course! Also, Kenny got out a flashlight to locate the kitty when it went under our bed. I went in to see if I could help and there was Kenny and Stetson, both on their bellies, each with a flashlight in one hand peering under the bed at the kitty that neither of them could reach. Too bad I didn't get a photo! The good news is that we did catch the kitty, and they are both living happily down at our barn now.
To celebrate the holiday (and the rain), we packed a picnic lunch and went on a drive. First we drove up to the mountain. It is sooo beautiful up there, everything is green and fresh, and the fences don't look too bad. It was pretty muddy, and we were lucky the storm hit right after we got off the mountain, or we would still be up there! Then we went down to the winter range to check out a spring that Kenny cleaned out a couple weeks ago. It had made a lot of water, and Stetson had a blast throwing rocks and dirt into the pond to make a splash. We drove down toward Fry Canyon, and Kenny checked out a mine he has been wanting to see for a long time. Then it started to really rain, so we headed home. That evening we ate hamburgers with my family. What a great day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great way to spend the day! I wish we would have done something. I have been wanting to do a cookout, but we still haven't gotten around to it.

Andy & Alicia said...

Those kittys are so cute. I didn't get to see them when we were over there the otherday. I'm happy you guys made it safely off the mountain before the rain hit.