Saturday, May 28, 2011

My "big" boy

 About a year ago I decided it was time to get serious about potty training Stetson, I had a new baby and didn't want to have two in diapers, plus I would be off work for the summer - perfect opportunity!  However, I learned the hard way that it is the kid that decides when it is time to get potty trained - not the mom.  Summer came and went, and he was still in diapers.  I got lots of advice and ideas from lots of experienced moms, but nothing seemed to work for Stetson.  The hardest part was that he spent 8 hours a day at a babysitter, and I hated to ask the babysitters to try to work with him when he showed no interest or desire at all.  So I took advantage of my long Thanksgiving weekend and dedicated my time to potty training Stetson.  After a rather frustrating few days and lots of laundry, I decided to give him another month and try again during my Christmas break.  After about his fifth cold bath one day, we were both in tears, so I wrapped him up in a blanket and held him as we rocked for a long time.  I was frustrated, and I could tell he was frustrated, and we weren't getting anywhere.  I decided to put the diaper back on and leave him alone.  We didn't drop the idea, in fact we talked about it ALL the time.  Each time I changed his diaper we talked about how nice it would be to not have to do that anymore, and every time he found something he wanted REALLY bad, I would tell him that only "big" boys got to have things like that, so once he started going in the potty and being a "big" boy, we could get one for him.  A few months later as I was setting up his new "big boy" bed, we talked about how big he was getting.  He climbed in the clean sheets and I kissed his forehead and said, "you're getting to be such a big boy."  He got real serious and said, "mom, maybe now I could start going in the potty."  I wanted jump for joy and scream and shout, but instead I just smiled and said, "that would be so awesome, and then you would REALLY be a big boy."  He smiled and said, "yup".  I wish I could say it was that easy, and that he was potty trained within a week, but I can't - we still had a long road ahead of us, but at least now he had a desire.

So he started wearing pullups, and he tried to keep them dry so that the picture on the front wouldn't fade away.  He did pretty good as long as someone took him to the bathroom every couple hours.  Then we hit a plateau, and I felt like I was training myself instead of him.  Plus, he still refused to poop in the toilet - he would literally suck it back in and hold it for hours.  Then we started going downhill again, and he treated the pullups just like a diaper - no big deal.  So my awesome sister-in-law, Suzie, said, "next time you bring him to my house, bring him in underwear and bring A LOT of extras."  How cool is it that she was willing to help out with something like this.  That day went well, and he only had one accident!  The next day Kenny's mom was tending him, and she was willing to help out too.  On day two he didn't have an accident at all, AND he pooped in the toilet!  I don't know what these two AMAZING women did, but it worked!  And I will FOREVER be grateful to them for it!  From then on, he wore underwear all the time, he had an accident here and there, but who doesn't?  Still, we had one more hurdle to cross - he still wouldn't poop in the toilet.  I considered letting him live at Grandma Black's house for awhile because he did it there.  Instead, he went several days where he didn't go at all, and I started to get worried.  Then, he started going in his underwear, and each time he would get a cold bath.  He started getting a little cocky, saying, "I like cold baths."  But as soon as he felt the cold water he would start to scream.  I must have focused too much on keeping the underwear clean, because then he started to take them off and then poop on the floor.  After one of these episodes, I found him giving himself a cold bath!  The good news is, that was a turning point for him, and he has gone in the toilet ever since.  It has been a LONG road with LOTS of bumps, but I think I can finally say that my "big" boy is potty trained!  HALLELUJAH!!!  Way to go Stetson!  We are super proud of you!  Now we can FINALLY get that trampoline you have been wanting!
Stetson sporting his big boy underwear on the slide table he made
One of Stetson's many "treasures".  He was so excited that he found all these "coconuts" in our yard!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I can definitly relate with Miriam. She started sittingon the potty around 18 mon but we arrived at her 3rd birthday having only actually gone 5 or 6 times in all that time. In the beginning I don't think she got it at all, but like you said with a new baby coming (I really didn't want 3 in diapers!)it was time to get serious. She now is mostly ok but like you said after a month of being in underwear she has yet to poop in the potty. So congratulations! Tell Stetson way to go!

Jens and Patricia said...

Hey! I would love to add you to our blog but I need your email address. If you want to go leave it in another comment or just add it onto here I will keep an eye out for it! I loved Stetson. He is such a cutie!

Tina said...

Potty training is coming up for Colee too. Hopefully she catches on. Stetson is so cute and Lucy is too! I love Stetson's coconuts. Aren't kids the best?